FAQ for students
- May I participate in BVU courses, if I am not registered as a student at a Bavarian university?
- Which universities are members of the BVU?
- Why are BVU courses free of charge only for students at member universities?
- Am I only allowed to participate in BVU courses on subjects related to my own degree programme?
- Is participating in BVU courses considered studying at a university different from my own?
- Does the BVU charge fees for participating in its courses?
Studying at the BVU
- What can I study at the BVU?
- Can I only participate in BVU courses via the internet?
- Is there a limit to how many or which courses I can take at the BVU?
- When do courses start and how long do they last?
- How do I use the course catalogue?
- What is my personal desktop?
- How do I register for a course?
- How can I find the course itself or the course materials?
- Course access information/Accessing a course
- I registered for a course, but I can’t login to the course. What am I doing wrong?
- Can I take BVU courses, if I am on leave of absence from my university?
- Are there examinations for BVU courses?
- Are there any obligations associated with participating in a BVU course or registering for an examination?
- How do I register for an examination?
- How can I drop a course (withdraw from a course)?
- How do I withdraw from an examination?
- How and where do examinations take place?
- How will my participation in or successful completion of a course be certified/attested?
- Which BVU course credits can be recognised or transferred? How valid are such transfers or recognition of credits?
- Can I transfer credits from BVU courses to my university?
Enrolling and registering
- Enrolling at the BVU
- Electronic authentication (electronic proof of eligibility)
- Paper authentication (proof of eligibility via postal mail)
- Consequences of having your account deactivated
- Which BVU member universities have an interface for electronic authentication?
- What documents / information do I need for online enrolment or to register for the next semester?
- I enrolled at the BVU a short time ago, but have not received an e-mail with my User ID. How long does it take for me to get an e-mail?
- How long is my enrolment valid?
- I didn’t immediately print my enrolment form. Can I retrieve my enrolment form and print it now?
- Are there any obligations for me if I enrol at the BVU?
- Can I enrol at the BVU more than once?
- What can I do, if I’ve forgotten my user name or password?
- My personal information has changed. How can I change the information in my account?
- Registering with the BVU for subsequent semesters
- What can I do, if I have missed the deadline to register for the semester?
- Authentication after an account has been deactivated
- Will I get a new user ID each semester?
- My account currently shows the status “open” (the authentication/proof of eligibility to take BVU courses free-of-charge has not yet been received). What can I do to authenticate my account?
- My account is currently deactivated (I failed to submit my supporting documents within 20 days after submitting my enrolment form). What can I do to reactivate my account?
- Is my personal information protected from third-party access?
- May I continue to participate in BVU courses after I have completed my degree program and have left university?
- How can I change my password for the BVU portal?
- How can I tell if a web page is secure?
- Why SSL and what is an SSL certificate?
- When I click on a course, I see the warning “secure connection failed”, what should I do?
- Do I have to change any settings on my PC in order to best use the BVU’s site?
- VPN connections may cause problems with electronic authentication
- What should I do if I have technical problems?